Saturday, November 12, 2011

How do I replace my 2002 Hyundai Sonata shift lever?

I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7L. I started to unscrew the shift knob, but it won't come off and now I can't tighten it. I just spins around freely now. Any suggestions on how to tighten it or take it off. Thank you in advance!|||Check with the dealer (you may need a Vehicle Mechanic)|||Chances are the threads inside the knob are damaged - unfortunately they are only plastic.


A molded insert inside the knob is what you are fighting against to get it off.


Make sure it is loose and just pull it off. Or in the words of my tech, 'heave ho'. You don't have to worry about damaging the threads on the shift lever, they are treated steel.


You'll need to replace the whole knob. $20.00/ vinyl... $80.00/ leather from Hyundai.

No comments:

Post a Comment